Support Us!
KeyWallet Team tries its best to bring out a new version. Currently we did not decide if this new version should be a donationware or shareware. Please donate even $1 to help us in our decision. We are also eager to keep KeyWallet a free independent product.

Contact
You can also contact us by e-mail. But please use our community forums to communicate with us. We get a lot of mails with the same question.

Regarding the Windows XP compatibility please read the following forum posting

Who's Online
There are currently, 25 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here.

Moderated By: cool
KeyWallet - Free Password Manager Forum Index Key Storage KW won't remember my password or keys

2 pages ( 1 | 2 )
KeyWallet - Free Password Manager Forum Index
Author KW won't remember my password or keys
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-05 20:09

I'm using KeyWallet on a Windows 2000 Pro (SP2) machine. Yesterday I had to change my (LAN) domain, so I copied my user profile over and changed the domain. Now KeyWallet is behaving strangely. I had exported my keys, so I didn't lose any data.

KeyWallet now asks me to create and confirm a password EVERY time I open it. After I create a "new" password it opens a blank wallet, i.e., no keys. So, I imported my saved keys and preferences, closed KeyWallet, and when I open it again I have to go through the same process all over again...create a "new" password, import my saved keys...

Thinking this was strange, I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled KeyWallet. However, I am still getting the same behavior. Why won't KeyWallet remember where my keys are? Why won't it remember the password I set?

[ This message was edited by: bill3 on 2001-09-05 20:09 ]

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2001-09-07 05:06

We are trying to reproduce this sitaution, but with no result.

I will post the answer as soon as possible when we know more...

-----------------

Profile  www   Add Quote
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-10 04:26

Is there any more detail I could provide that would help? This has really made it difficult to use KeyWallet.

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2001-09-10 07:56

I was unable to reproduce this bug. We are working on it. We will ask you here some questions please try to answer them.

-----------------

Profile  www   Add Quote
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-18 06:02

This bug is still bugging me. One thing I do do that may not be standard practice is to store my key files and backups on a separate drive. I still don't know why I can't import keys though... any ideas?

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2001-09-18 06:28

Is it possible that after the domain change this drive, where you store your keys got another letter? Then KW would not be able to find a location for your keys.

-----------------

Profile  www   Add Quote
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-19 01:38

The drive letters themselves are still the same. What I'm thinking now is that I had copied my profile over to the new Domain...then when I had trouble and uninstalled KW from the new profile, some registry keys got left behind? Therefore reinstalling the software didn't fix anything...

Is there some way I can do a complete uninstall?

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2001-09-19 11:43

Take a look at the following posting

-----------------

[ This message was edited by: cool on 2001-09-19 11:44 ]

Profile  www   Add Quote
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-23 21:15

I checked the path in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KeyWallet.com\KeyWallet, and everything looked fine. To test things out I tried changing the path from the truncated DOS path to the full Windows path, but got the same results. KW will not remember where my keys are, and will not save them.

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software again, to no avail.

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2001-09-24 05:31

The stupid situation is, that we can not reproduce this bug. We all tried to do that, but it worked fine. I don't know where it could be. We will try to review the source code. The bugfix then would be available in next software update.

What happens when you change back to the previous domain?

-----------------

Profile  www   Add Quote
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-24 20:47

I know you're trying...thanks.
Quote:
What happens when you change back to the previous domain?

I did change back to the previous domain once to fix some other settings, and KeyWallet acted normally, i.e., it only asked me once for a password, and then loaded all my password files. Unfortunately, my company is in the process of moving, and that old domain is no longer accessable, so I can't reproduce this any longer.

Does KW store anything in the registry that points to Win2K profiles? The settings I looked at pointed toward my Program Files directory.

When Importing .kwo files, by default they are written into the storage.kwo file, correct? I watched my storage.kwo file in Windows Explorer and it seems to work correctly when I exit KW. After a fresh install of KW the storage.kwo file generated is 3KB...after I import my backup files storage.kwo becomes 31KB. Upon exiting KW the storage.kwo file stays 31KB in size. The problems start when I open KW again. When I do that, storage.kwo immediately becomes 3KB again and it starts asking me to make a new password all over again.

I tried renaming my backup file to storage.kwo and placing it in my profile D:\Program Files\KeyWallet\Profiles\BILL. That kludge works somewhat, but I get a KeyWallet error
Quote:
Could not save storage!

I get that error every time I open and close KW with the renamed storage.kwo file...and of course I cannot add any more data to the file.

I'm stumped. Does this info give you and idea what might be going wrong?

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2001-09-25 05:46

Thanks! This is a more detailed information on what happens. We will check it. I will post the result here asap.

-----------------

Profile  www   Add Quote
bill3

Posted: 2001-09-30 20:59

I want to thank Alex from the KeyWallet Team for helping me out with this. He e-mailed me some test files, and we were able to determine the cause of the bug. It seems that there was a discrepancy in the capitalization of my new profile...they said this will be fixed in the next version.

I'm happy to be able to use KW normally again! Thanks!

Profile  Quote
Bugchaser

Posted: 2001-10-22 04:32

I've got the same problem three times on one of my computers. On another machine, the problem has not occurred.

The symptoms are identical to those posted above. Plus an inability to import the backed up kwo-file. To solve the problem, I have to uninstall KW, reinstall it, restart the computer (otherwise it always prompts for password and confirmation), and then create the "new" password, import the old backup-kwo, and we're up and running again.

I haven't seen any pattern, it seems to appear out of the blue. I'm also running Win2k SP2. I am the administrator.

One difference is that, on this troubled machine, I use to alternatively login locally and on the network, with different user names. On the other machine, where it always have worked, I use the same local login.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new, bugfixed version!

Profile  Quote
mstgokcen

Posted: 2001-11-04 12:28

I installed WindowsXP and re-installed keywallet and I wanted to import old keystorage file but I did not. The program says that password is incorrect but I am sure it is correct.
Now what will happen I lost all my passwords...
Is there any problem about WinXP?

Profile  www   Add Quote
Quader

Posted: 2002-01-05 18:10

One think I've found with Keywallet is that if you add new logins and the computer freezes and you have to restart manually it won't save the new info.

Therefore it seems better to restart the computer shortly after adding new info.

Profile  Quote
jchristl

Posted: 2002-01-08 14:15

What I have taken to doing is simply closing the program right after entering anything new into it. That way it will save the entered data.

Profile  Quote
cool

Posted: 2002-06-25 04:22

KeyWallet stores in the registry path to the profile. The bug is that the profile path is case sensitive. KeyWallet profile manager uses windows login, to distinguish between the profiles. Please try to change your windows login to the case sensitive version that was used for the first time. Example: There is a difference for KeyWallet between 'Administrator' and 'administrator'.

Profile  www   Add Quote
peno

Posted: 2003-08-15 09:58

I have the same exact problem as described here. I use the program at home already for quite some time (now on XP) and it has always worked fine for me. Also on XP.

But now I want to use it also at work, also on a XP system, but connected to the network. After installing the latest version of the program (1.01 I believe) I am prompted to create a password. I have to enter the password twice. After having done this, I can create keys without a problem. If I then quit the program, I notice that storage.kwo has increased in size, so my data is stored. This is in the folder C:\Program Files\KeyWallet\Profiles\peno (peno is my login name).
When I start the program again, I have to enter the password two times again (so it asks me to create a new account again) and then all entered keys are gone again and storage.kwo has shrinked in size.
This behaviour is almost exactly the same as the other posts here.

These posts are already quite old and there seems to be still no fix. How is this possible???

From other posts I read that several people have already lost their keys. I have never had this unfortunate behaviour, but I would certainly expect that you guys would correct this kind of problem and not wait until a next release is brought out.

Is there any work-around for my problem?

Thanks,

Peter

Profile  www  Quote
peno

Posted: 2003-08-15 11:21

Found two work-arounds for this problem:

a) set the storage.kwo file in your profile directory read-only. The disadvantage is that you get a message that the file could not be written at startup (when it tries to recreate it) and when ending the program. The other downside is that you have to set it writable again when you want to add a key and you may not forget to set it read-only again. Not very handy.

b) The second method is much better. Rename the defaultuser folder in Profiles to for example defaultuser.old. Then it works perfect. Only when you login as a new user and a new profile must be made for this user, temporary rename it again so that the profile can be made and when this is done, rename it again. This will not happen very often, so one can live with that.

[ This message was edited by: peno on 2003-08-15 11:22 ]

Profile  www  Quote
Goto Page: 1 | 2

Jump To:
Copyright 1997-2004 KeyWallet GbR. All rights reserved.